Darton State College Web Services | Frequently Asked Questions
» Technology Services Division
» Web Services
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why can’t my page be updated TODAY?
- Unless it is a few minor changes to your page, your project will be placed on a list in order of receipt. Frequently there are 5+ projects being worked on at any one time. If you need a change by a certain day, it is best that it is submitted at least two (2) weeks in advance so that I have time to make sure it is working correctly and you have time to review it and make adjustments.
- Why can’t I have [insert some new "cool" technology] on my page?
- Darton is a government institution, and by law, we are required to make sure that everything be accessible. This not only includes the classrooms, but online as well.
Flash is fine for a little pizzazz for your site; however, if it is supplying any content important for your reader to know, you could run into trouble. Flash is very difficult to make completely accessible to everyone, especially if it is demonstrating an activity. To make it accessible, you would have to write up a document explaining the actions viewed on screen, effectively doubling the amount of work and effort required to complete the project.
If you really want Flash on your publicly accessible web pages, please consider all the other ways you can provide the same information so that No One is left out.
As for other new, "cool" technologies? Not everyone has the correct software installed on their machines. Some of these technologies are fine for your WebCT classes where you can make it a requirement for your class, but we cannot expect all visitors to our web site to go and download the proper software to view our coolest "new" thing.
- I don’t like the colors/logo.
- We are doing our best to please the most people possible. The colors are based on the school colors, so until we are given approval, the colors will remain the same.
As for our logo, feel free to send suggestions for logo ideas to the Communications & Marketing department.
- The site is too busy/too boring/not flashy enough!
- If the site seems too busy for you, we are trying to make the information easy to find.
If the site is too boring for you, remember, this is an informational site about Darton State College, not an entertainment site. It is a documented fact that High School students do not go to college web sites to be entertained, but to find information.
If the site is not flashy enough for you; consider, old phone lines and slow modems are an accessibility issue and we must make sure that people can still download our site in a timely manner.
- I need a web site for my division/department ... and I don’t know where to start! HELP!!!!!
- Take a deep breath and count to 10. It's going to be ok!
- More likely than not, someone else at another college has already done a site like the one you are needing to do. Feel free to go and look around. Make notes on what you like and don't like about those sites and what type of content they are providing to their readers.
- Begin gathering (electronically) files of the content you wish to provide on your site.
- Call me at x6704 and we will begin working on putting your site together
Check out the "How To" page for additional information
- I don’t want my picture displayed on the web site!
- This is fine and totally understandable. Just contact the web services department and let us know at x6704.
The Web Services department is responsible for the information on this page.
For questions regarding content, or for further information, please contact Dorea Hardy.
Last Update: November 19, 2015 10:45 AM
The Darton State College web site is maintained by the Technology Services Division.