Darton State College Financial Aid | How to Apply
Application Policy/Procedures for Students
Seeking Federal Financial Aid
- Students seeking assistance through any federal aid program must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA application is located online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. After logging on, students will be guided through completing this application with step by step instructions. For additional help, a FAFSA worksheet may be picked up in the Financial Aid Office. Students are required to renew their FAFSA yearly. Darton State College’s priority deadline for every Fall Semester is May 1st.
- After completing the online application, the student will receive a SAR Information Acknowledgement in the mail about two weeks after submitting the online FAFSA. If an e-mail address was provided on the FAFSA, the SAR will be e-mailed to the student. The student should review the summary to verify the accuracy of the submitted information.
- Darton State College follows verification guidelines as mandated by the federal government to determine accuracy of student data reported on financial aid applications. Students are selected for verification by the US Department of Education and/or by Darton State College when information submitted by the student is unclear or inconsistent. The Office of Student Financial Aid will contact the student by mail if additional verification and/or documentation is required. The student may also logon to their MyDC-Banner Web account under Financial Aid Eligibility to view unmet requirements. The FA Office does not review applications for eligibility until all unsatisfied requirements are met.
- Students awarded the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work Study, HOPE Scholarship, Hope Grant , Zell Miller Scholarship and/or Federal Stafford Direct Loans will receive an award letter designating the amounts and types of assistance being offered. Financial aid is initially awarded for the academic year (Fall-Spring Semesters). Additional aid is awarded for Summer Semester, if available. Acceptance of award is required by logging into your MyDC-Banner Web account and accepting the award online.
Additional Policy/Procedures for Students
Seeking Assistance Through Loans
- All students are required to complete entrance counseling every year at https://studentloans.gov.
- All students are required to complete a Direct Loan master promissory note.
- Once an application is processed, the student will receive a disclosure statement from the William D. Ford Direct Loan program notifying the student of loan approval.
- All loan recipients must be currently enrolled in six or more semester hours to qualify.
- First time loan borrowers at Darton State College are required to be enrolled and attending class 30 days before the first disbursement of the loan will be made.
- Students applying for a single semester loan (Fall Only, Spring Only, Summer Only) will receive loan funds in two disbursements. The first disbursement will be at the beginning of the semester (if not a first time borrower), and the second at mid-term.
- Dependent students needing additional assistance to the Stafford loan, may apply for a Parent Plus loan at https://studentloans.gov. Parent requesting the Plus loan is required to sign in with their Federal PIN number, name and social security number.