Stafford Direct Loan Instructions
Beginning Fall 2014, Darton students will no longer be required to submit an additional application to receive a Direct Stafford loan. Once a student submits a FAFSA, Direct subsidized and unsubsidized loans will automatically be awarded to every student. We hope this helps to ease the lengthy process of applying for financial aid.
Students are now required to login to their MyDC student portal and either accept or deny their loan. Be advised, students are automatically awarded the maximum loan allowed. If the student does not wish to receive the full award, they will have the option to reduce the loan amount under financial aid in MyDC.
After 30 days, should the student fail to accept or deny the loan, all loan awards will be cancelled.
Important points to remember:
- Students will still be required to complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note at www.studentloans.gov. Failure to submit these two items will delay disbursement of your loan.
- Students will still be required to stay enrolled in 6 or more hours throughout the semester to remain eligible for loans.
- First time loan borrowers at Darton State College are required to be enrolled and attending class 30 days before the first disbursement of the loan will be made.
- Students applying for a single semester loan (Fall Only, Spring Only, Summer Only) will receive loan funds in two disbursements. The first disbursement will be at the beginning of the semester (if not a first time borrower), and the second at mid-term.
- Once an application is processed, the student will receive a disclosure statement from the William D. Ford Direct Loan program notifying the student of loan approval.
- Dependent students needing additional assistance to the Stafford loan, may apply for a Parent Plus loan at www.studentloans.gov. Parent requesting the Plus loan is required to sign in with their Federal PIN number, name and social security number. See the following page for instructions http://www.darton.edu/admin/finaid/parent.php