Darton State College Career Development Center | Choosing a Major
Choosing A Major
Tips on Choosing a Major
Begin with self-reflection. In order to make informed choices about majors and careers, students need to first evaluate their values, interests, personality traits, and skills.
- Interests: What do you enjoy doing? What subjects do you like?
- Personality: What energizes you? What environment suits your learning and work style?
- Values: What's important to you? What motivates you to take action?
- Skills: What are activities in which you excel? What are your natural abilities?
Evaluating these personal areas requires honest reflection and many students and alumni find it helpful to work with a Career professional to ensure that they are conducting a thorough self-assessment.
There is no "career test" that can determine what path you should pursue. However, there are a couple of career assessments offered through the Career Center that can help you identify careers related to your interests, personality type, values, and skills. We encourage you to discuss your results with the Career Development Center for a clear understanding of how this information can help you in career planning.
Consider what you learned through
self-assessment & explore your options.
- Look at the complete list of Darton Majors
- Cross off any you would not consider, but do not eliminate majors simply because you know nothing about them
- Gather additional information about majors through the Darton Catalog and departmental Web sites
- Talk with faculty, students, and alumni to learn more details about classes and projects
If you have trouble working through these steps, you might want to consider possible issues preventing you from making a decision. Many factors can contribute to the difficulty of choosing a major or career. We invite you to visit or call the Career Center to discuss choosing your major.
Once you have chosen a major or a possible list of majors, you can now discover What Can I Do With This Major (opens new window).
The Career Development Center department is responsible for the information on this page.
For questions regarding content, or for further information, please contact Email: Gloria Ridgeway
A Division of Student Affairs.
Last Update: June 30, 2016 10:19 AM
The Darton State College web site is maintained by the Technology Services Division.