The Counseling Center
Director of Crisis Counseling
Building C, Room 103 L
Alcohol & Drug Free Policy
As a unit of the Dean of Student’s Office under the Division of Student Affairs, the Counseling Center supports the mission of the college in our commitment to the academic, personal, social and psychological growth of students at Darton State College. The Counseling Center strives to be highly accessible while promoting a healthy learning community for students.
The scope of services that the Counseling Center provides includes group, short-term individual counseling, as well as assessment, crisis intervention, and monitoring and referral to off-campus resources when appropriate. The Counseling Center is dedicated to providing the College with quality services and expertise in the areas of consultation and outreach.
The Counseling Center offers these services with respect for others, appreciating the diversity, and showing compassion for the students we serve. We are mindful of and responsive to the changing needs of the college community.
The Counseling Center is located on the first floor of the Student Center, room C-103 L.
Phone: 229-317-6734 or 229-317-6728
Monday – Friday 8:00-5:00
After hours appointments are scheduled on an individual basis.
Stressed About Tests?
Now available for listening to online or to download and listen to on your device of choice:
Dealing with Unexpected Loss
We know that part of life is losing people due to serious illness or after a long life...
Mission of the Counseling Center
Darton State College is committed to providing limited counseling services to its students to maximize their potential for success. The scope of services that the Counseling Center provides includes individual, and group counseling, as well as assessment, crisis intervention, walk-in services, and referral to off-campus resources when appropriate. The Counseling Center is also dedicated to providing Darton State College with high quality services and expertise in the areas of consultation and outreach which includes program development.
Darton State College offers counseling services as part of the commitment to being student oriented and focused on retention through personal counseling and intervention. Students may seek the services on their own or may be referred by an instructor or employee of Darton State College. Counseling services address the needs of each student on an individual basis with respect to diversity and the changing needs of a community college.
The primary goals of the Counseling Center are:
- To provide a support system to help students overcome obstacles interfering with their academic progress.
- To assist students in coping with crises or other immediate needs in their lives.
- To assist students in developing emotional autonomy and clarifying values as they may relate to life planning.
- To assist students in accepting and managing addictions such as drug and alcohol abuse, eating disorders and co-dependency.
- To consult with faculty who are assisting students with emotional difficulties.
- To participate in preventative programs concerning the health and safety of students, e.g., drug education, stress management.
- To provide a referral source to other community agencies when needed.
- To consult with other mental health professionals concerning the emotional well being of Darton students.
- To provide short-term emergency counseling services to students with severe emotional or psychological problems and appropriate referrals.
- To assist students in making adjustment to college