Darton State College Faculty & Staff
Darton State College
Policies and Procedures
Access to Student Records
Students shall have the right to have their academic and disciplinary records kept confidential, as subject to existing state law. All practices and policies dealing with the acquisition and retention of information for records shall be formulated with due regard for the students' right to privacy. No permanent records shall be available to unauthorized persons within the institution or to any person outside the institution without the express consent of the student involved except under legal compulsion. No permanent records are kept that reflect any alleged political activities or beliefs of students. Specific policies with respect to student records follow:
- Any student, regardless of age, who is or has been in attendance at Darton College has the right to inspect and review his educational records within a reasonable time (not to exceed 45 days) after making a request. However, the student shall not have access to:
- Financial Records of parents
- Confidential letters of recommendations placed in the record prior to January 1, 1975
- Letters of recommendation concerning admission, application for employment or honors for which the student has voluntarily signed a waiver.
- When the student and the official responsible for a particular record are unable to resolve questions as to the accuracy of information contained therein, the student will have an opportunity for an impartial hearing to challenge the content of his record as follows:
The student submits, to the Dean of Students, a request for a hearing before the Judicial Committee. The hearing will be conducted in a manner similar to that described for disciplinary hearings in the Student Handbook (*.pdf).
- If the records are found to be inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the privacy or other rights of students, he may ask the Registrar to correct or delete such material. Each student also has the right to insert into his record a written explanation of the contents thereof. "Education record" means generally any record maintained by or for Darton College which contains information directly related to he student. However, the following items are excluded:
- Records kept by education personnel which remain in the sole possession of the maker.
- Law enforcement records maintained by campus police.
- Employment records which relate exclusively to employment.
- Records of professionals providing medical or psychological treatment to the student. However, the student may have an appropriate professional review such records.
- Directory information, unless a student requests that such information which relates to him or her not be released.
- Release of personally identifiable information with consent will be allowed to:
- Institutional personnel who have a legitimate educational interest.
- Officials of other schools where the student seeks to enroll. The student will be notified of the release of such information and will be provided a copy of the record if requested.
- Representatives of federal agencies authorized by law to have access to education records and members and staff of the Board of Regents of the University System.
- Appropriate persons in connection with a student's application for or receipt of financial aid.
- State and local officials to whom information must be released pursuant to a state statute adopted prior to November 19, 1974.
- Organizations conducting studies for the institution.
- Accrediting organizations.
- Parents of a dependent student, as defined by the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended.
- Necessary persons in emergency situations to protect health and safety.
- Persons designated in subpoenas or court orders.
- Where written consent by a student is required for release of personally identifiable information such consent must:
- Specify records to be released.
- Include reasons for such release.
- Specify to whom records are to be released.
- Be dated.
- Be signed by the student.
- A copy of the information released will be provided to the student upon request.
- Records will be released in compliance with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. However every reasonable effort will be made to notify the student in advance of compliance.
- The types of education records maintained on students at Darton College and the offices maintaining these records are:
- Educational records - Registrar, Assistant Dean of Enrollment Management, and Director of Financial Aid.
- Financial Records- Vice President for Business and Financial Services, Assistant Dean of Enrollment Management, and Director of Financial Aid.
- Disciplinary Records - Dean of Students
- Placement Records - Testing Coordinator
- Faculty and other college personnel shall have access to student education records only where such persons have a legitimate educational interest and demonstrate a need to know to the official responsible for the record.
- Students have the right to obtain copies of information contained in their educational records. One transcript will be issued free of charge. Students will be charged $2.00 for each additional transcript. Copies of other information in the student's educational record will be provided on the basis of the actual cost to the College not exceeding $1.00 per page. Directory information consists of name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major, participation in activities, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent educational institute attended. Any student may present a written request to the Registrar that such information not be released. However, requests that directory information be withheld from written publication must be received in sufficient time to prevent a delay in processing that publication.
Academic Services Building, Room K101
The Legal Affairs department is responsible for the information on this page.
For questions regarding content, or for further information, please contact the Legal Affairs department.
Last Update: December 10, 2015 5:05 PM
The Darton State College web site is maintained by the Technology Services Division.