Skip Navigation

Darton State College

Darton State College

Home  » Faculty & Staff  » Policies & Procedures  » Policies

Darton College Policies and Procedures

Academic Renewal

The Academic Renewal program provides the opportunity for degree-seeking students within the University System of Georgia who have experienced academic difficulty to have one final opportunity to earn an associate or bachelor's degree at a system school. A student at Darton College seeking Academic Renewal status from former enrollment at Darton must have had a five-year absence from any post secondary institution. A student may be granted Academic Renewal status only once.

Former Learning Support students may apply for Academic Renewal only if they successfully completed all Learning Support requirements prior to the commencement of the five-year period of absence.

All previous coursework and academic standing continue to be reflected on the student's official transcript. Academic credit for previously completed coursework, including transfer courses, will be retained only for courses in which a A, B, or C grade has been earned. The renewal grade point average is begun when the student resumes taking coursework following approval for Academic Renewal. Retained grades are not calculated in the Renewal GPA. The Renewal GPA begins with the semester following re-enrollment. Required courses with D or F grades must be repeated at the Academic Renewal institution. All remaining courses for the student's current degree program must be completed at the Academic Renewal institution. A student classified with Academic Renewal cannot attend another institution as a transient student.

Re-enrolling students who have been out of school for five years and who do not request Academic Renewal status at the time of re-admission may request the status within three academic semesters or within one calendar year, whichever comes first. Suspended or dismissed students who attend another institution during the suspension/dismissal period are not eligible for Academic Renewal.

Students wishing to apply for Academic Renewal must complete an "Academic Renewal Application (pdf format 13k)" Once the application is completed, the student is required to meet with the Academic Appeals Committee, which meets immediately prior to the beginning of each semester. Final approval of the Academic Renewal status is granted by the Academic Appeals Committee.

For the convenience of students, the Academic Appeals Committee sits at the beginning of each semester. Students may contact the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs (229) 317-6710 to make an appointment.

Refer to the newest Catalog for updates and revisions.
Maintained by: OIT
Each Department responsible for maintaining questions related to them.