Working Title: Laboratory Assistant
Department: Science & Mathematics
This is semi-skilled work performing a limited variety of tasks in an assigned laboratory.
Nature of Work:
Work involves repetitive laboratory tasks which require accuracy in the preparation of solvents, solutions, and compounds, and the routine maintenance and care of laboratory specimens, cultures, and equipment used in research and laboratory demonstrations. This class differs from the Laboratory. Technician I by the limited variety and degree of difficulty required in performing assigned tasks. Employees in this class receive detailed instructions and close supervision through observation of work routine by a technical supervisor.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collects, grinds, weighs, and centrifuges tissues, insects and glands; prepares specimen sets, culture dishes and slides.
- Prepares and dispenses in appropriate containers media according to specified formulas as directed by a technical superior.
- Prepares chemical solutions and simple reagents; propagates virus and bacteria by infecting animals and specimens.
- Checks autoclaves, sterilizes glassware, cleans and assembles microscopes, operates the less complex laboratory equipment and sets up equipment, media and solutions for laboratory classes.
- Makes suggestions for needed supplies.
- Performs related work as required.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Some knowledge of the biological or physical sciences, experimental apparatus, microscopes, and laboratory equipment.
- Ability to perform routine tasks according to detailed and prescribed procedures.
- Ability to recognize certain microscopic and minute organisms.
- Ability to prepare accurate records and statistical results.
- Skill in laboratory manipulative techniques.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Graduation from a standard high school with course work in biological or physical sciences; or some experience in laboratory work.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.