Working Title: Library Assistant II – Circulation
Department: Learning Resources Center
This position involves assisting in various phases of the Library operation and may include directing student assistants.
Nature of Work:
The Library Assistant II is a second level position. Work involves mostly clerical tasks, but the emphasis is on the application of some knowledge of library materials and use. Work includes the performance of some specialized sub-professional library duties of limited complexity.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Handles incoming and outgoing mail, as well as distribution of departmental personal mail in the library
- Responsible for having the mail picked up from the administration building.
- Handle bulk of interlibrary loan process
- Checks in periodicals, microfiche, microfilms, and standing serial orders
- Prepares and updates missing copy bank
- Duplicate exchange and magazines for the lack lists
- Helps prepare and identify periodicals for binding
- Assists with periodic inventory of serials collection
- Keeps statistical records of materials received and transactions of interlibrary loan
- Responsible for distribution of exchange list items upon request from other libraries
- Shelves periodicals and serials when student worker is not available
- Operates and maintains statistics with the fax machine
- Assist with special projects in the Serial department
- Uses various computer programs
- Assist at the circulation desk as needed.
- Gathers data and prepares monthly Xerox reports.
- Orders and keeps up with library supplies.
- Give support in other library areas as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Knowledge of basic library procedures and how to use different operating equipment in the library
- Basic knowledge of office practices, procedures with some knowledge of supervisory skills.
- Considerable knowledge of Microsoft Office software ( Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and Outlook and office machines
- Effective communication skills including verbal and written
- Ability to establish excellent customer relations skills with library patrons
- Ability to calmly handle multiple tasks and interruptions simultaneously
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff and students
Required Education and/or Experience:
- High School diploma required; two years of college highly desirable
- Library experience or equivalent of training and experience
The Library Assistant II-Circulation reports to the Serials Librarian.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.