Working Title: Assistant Librarian – Circulation/Reference
Department: Learning Resources Center
This position is responsible for coordinating and directing the activities of the Circulation/Reference Department.
Nature of Work:
The Circulation/Reference Librarian develops, implements and monitor the public policies and procedures of the Circulation Department.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts information literacy instruction and tours of the library
- Train student workers
- Conduct information literacy instruction and tours of the library
- Assist patrons in the use of library tools including electronic, online and print
- Preparing the library displays
- Assist as possible in solving equipment and other related problems
- Share reference/circulation duties with professional staff
- Orienting patrons to library resources including the Darton library catalog (GIL), print indexes/reference sources, GALILEO and the internet
- Assisting patrons with acquiring library cards, checking out materials, and accessing reserve materials
- Assisting teachers and classes with individual assignments
- Answer reference questions as needed in person or by telephone or e-mail
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Competence in planning and setting objectives and priorities
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to motivate and organize staff for effective group action
- Thorough understanding of automation developments and capabilities
- Computer literate
- Ability to establish excellent customer relations skills with library patrons
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff and students
Required Education and/or Experience:
- MLS degree from an ALA accredited library school
- Experience in circulation and reference
The Circulation/Reference Librarian reports to the Director of the Library.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.