Working Title: Database Applications Analyst / Database Systems Security Administrator / Data Architect / Systems Analyst
Department: Information Technology
Technical and professional work in planning, developing, testing and documenting computer application programs and internal systems.
Nature of Work:
- Administer Unix systems including HPUX and Solaris
- Administer Oracle databases
- Administer Oracle application servers
- Create accounts and set permissions to access computers and databases
- User support of all modules of banner
- User support of Luminis portal
- User support of Unix command shell
- Supervise programming/installation of local database applications
- Troubleshoot database issues
- Troubleshoot connectivity issues
- Troubleshoot Banner issues
- Run processes and Upgrades
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Designs, develops, implements, manipulates and maintains Oracle databases.
- Administers, maintains, develops and implements policies and procedures for ensuring the security and integrity of the company databases.
- Develops strategies for data acquisitions, archive recovery, and implementation of databases
- Implements data models and database designs, data access and table maintenance codes; resolves database performance issues, database capacity issues, and other distributed data issues.
- Installs new oracle RDBMS releases, upgrades, evaluates and installs patches and resolves oracle RDBMS related issues.
- Writes code for database access, modifications, and constructions including stored procedures.
- Reviews, analyzes, and modifies programming systems including encoding, testing, debugging and installing to support an organization's application systems.
- Consults with users to identify current operating procedures and to clarify program objectives.
- May be expected to write documentation to describe program development, logic, coding, and corrections.
- Writes manual for users to describe installation and operating procedures.
- Installs new banner software releases, banner upgrades, evaluates and installs patches and resolves banner issues.
- Installs new oracle AS releases, upgrades, evaluates and installs patches and resolves oracle AS related issues.
- Cleans and maintains the databases by removing and deleting old data, running baseline purges and deleting records from collector tables.
- Maintains systems to protect data from unauthorized access.
- Identifies, reports, and resolves security violations.
- Installs, configures and maintains operating system releases, system upgrades, evaluates and installs patches and resolves software related problems.
- Performs system backups and recovery including operating systems, databases and applications software.
- Maintains data files and monitors system configuration to ensure data integrity.
- Analyzes and resolves problems associated with server hardware
- Support blackboard transaction system
- Support ID works integrated with blackboard transaction system
- Support application extender document management system
- Support axiom for loading data into banner from the XAP on-line application
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Experience with Banner Student Information system
- Experience with Application Extender Document Management System integrated with Banner
- Experience with Luminis Student Portal and its integration with Banner
- Experience with Axiom being used to load data into Banner
- Experience with Blackboard Transaction System
- Experience with ID works integrated with Blackboard Transaction System
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within educational institutions
- Must have a working knowledge designing, developing, implementing, manipulating and maintaining Oracle databases
- Oracle Application Server including creation, modification, and maintenance or Oracle Forms
- User support including reading and interpreting extensive documentation for functional users
- Expert knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, Pro C, C, or C++
- Experience with UNIX operating system such as LINUX, Solaris, or HPUX
- Experience with programming scripting languages, Perl, & web
- Excellent communication skills needed - both oral and written.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with campus population regarding database and computer related issues.
- Competent knowledge of data networking systems.
- Competent technical knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Access, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Competent knowledge of computer/printer hardware and basic troubleshooting and repair.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and effectively.
Required Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field preferred, minimum of five years experience with Oracle RDBMS, Unix Operating System Support, writing programs using a Structured Query Language (SQL) and procedural programming (PL/SQL or equivalent).
The Database Analyst reports to the Chief Information Officer.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.