Working Title: Instructional Developer
Department: Instructional Technology and Distance Learning
This is a highly technical position that provides support for faculty and staff regarding Instructional Technology and Distance Learning.
Nature of Work:
The Instructional Developer (ID) is primary faculty contact for instructional design of content in Blackboard Vista. The ID will be the first tier contact for faculty developing content for use with Blackboard Vista for hybrid/blended, web-supported, and fully online courses.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as instructional designer, working in a consultant role with faculty developing instructional units or complete courses to be offered via course management system, currently Blackboard Vista.
- Work collaboratively with department in the development of faculty expertise in using learning management software. The ID will conduct online and on-the-ground training for faculty in the pedagogy of effective online teaching.
- The ID will conduct workshops throughout the year to lead faculty in the development of content online.
- Assist faculty members in the design, development, and routine support of effective web-based courses, including web content, interactive exercises, assessments, and online communication.
- Explore and support the use of instructional design theory, instructional technology, technology tools, and media to enhance learning and interaction.
- Collaborate with faculty and instructional technology consultants to create high-quality instructional materials, including websites, graphics, audio/video, and to assist in implementation of emerging instructional technologies.
- Implement evaluation procedures to assess effectiveness of using technologies in the teaching/learning process.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong team skills
- Project management and supervisory experience
- Experience and knowledge of instructional design, web design and development, digital imaging, and digital multimedia
- Experience in educational setting
- Higher education teaching experience
- Online course development or teaching experience
- Experience with online learning environments (experience with Blackboard Vista strongly preferred)
- Familiarity with MS Office products, HTML editors, multimedia development tools, digital graphics, digital audio editors, or other production software
- Experience in and a working knowledge of the use of educational media in the process of instruction
Required Education and/or Experience:
AA degree and/or 5 equivalent years experience in Instructional Technology, Educational Media, Instructional Systems Design, Educational Psychology, or related field.
The Instructional Developer reports to the Director of ITDL.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.