Working Title: Director of Student Success (and counseling)
Department: Student Affairs
The Director of Student Success works under the direct supervision of the Vice President for Student Affairs. The director is responsible for directing all aspects of Student Success Program and counseling center.
Nature of Work:
This is a combination of administrative and direct service work in the provision of counseling services to a student population. The position reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Tasks are performed independently, within accepted guidelines. The director exercises considerable independent judgment in applying professional clinical knowledge to assist students in solving problems of personal adjustment. The position requires extensive knowledge of complex principles of human behavior. The director must become familiar with local factors affecting student adjustment and resources available to students. The director has extensive contact with various individuals and groups, particularly students, faculty, staff and family members of students.
Primary responsibilities include provision of personal, career and educational counseling to individuals and groups. Work is usually performed under normal office conditions. The director is also responsible for administrative functions.
The director must hold one of the following licenses in the state of Georgia: licensed professional counselor, licensed marriage and family therapist, licensed social worker, licensed clinical social workers, licensed psychologist or licensed psychiatrist.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide personal and academic counseling services to students in individual and group settings with social, academic, personal, and career adjustment issues. Make appropriate referrals when students’ needs are beyond the scope of the counseling center.
- Develop and update clinical policies and procedures for Counseling Services.
- Manage Student Success budget.
- Offer workshops and seminars on relevant campus issues.
- Serve on College committees as requested and Chair the Drug Free Campus Committee
- Supervise the operation of the career and counseling center
- Must be student-centered and willing to work collaboratively with faculty and staff across the campus community; should be well versed in program development, outreach, retention activities, student advocacy, research and evaluation which supports the mission of the college environment.
- Reserve rooms and provide Regent’s Testing each semester for students who have not passed one or both tests after three attempts.
- Participate as a member of the larger student affairs staff on division-wide projects and programs, such as advising, registration, orientation and career fairs
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of complex principles of human behavior theories, especially therapeutic and student development theories, and the ability to apply those theories to assist students in making desired changes in their lives.
- Motivated and self directed.
- Ability to develop and maintain a strong therapeutic alliance with students.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding of policies and procedures typical for a college counseling center.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of a masters degree in a mental health discipline leading to licensure in the state of Georgia: professional counseling, social work, marriage & family therapy, clinical or counseling psychology, or advanced practice nursing (clinical nurse specialist: psychiatric/mental health).
- Licensure in a mental health discipline in Georgia, or ability to obtain licensure within one year of hire (associate licensure acceptable).
- One to three years professional experience providing direct mental health services.
The Director of Student Success reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.