Working Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department: Learning Support
This is a highly responsible office managerial position providing administrative assistance, clerical support and organizational skills to the Dean.
Nature of Work:
Work involves responsibility for providing administrative services to the Dean and for relieving the Dean of delegated program and executive details. This administrative assistant serves as a main work support employee for the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Office of the President. Employees in this class independently perform responsible work which may involve supervision over others; including working with faculty and staff with varied academic procedures that may or may not deal directly with students, as well as helping them with projects for the division dean. Primary emphasis is on managing the work flow in the division office and relieving top level administrative officials of operational details. The employee is required to exercise considerable initiative, independent judgment in keeping informed of institutional and state policies, rules, and regulations and to act in a liaison capacity between the office of the Dean of Learning Support and other departments and organizations. Work assignments are usually received with only broad statements of objectives and are performed with considerable independence. Work is normally reviewed on the basis of results obtained.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Very often special projects and new assignments are relayed to this staff person and he/she is expected to handle them with work procedures that they develop independently.
- Works daily in the public relations area of the college by providing extensive customer service to external and internal customers.
- Meets individuals and the general public for the division.
- Processes confidential matters and either resolves or refers questions to appropriate personnel in the absence of the Dean.
- Provides assistance to the Dean by screening calls, visitors and mail, interpreting organization policies, rules and regulations in response to queries from others, answering letters and general correspondence, planning appointment schedules, making travel reservations and processing confidential matters.
- Makes arrangements for conferences, which includes assisting in preparing the agenda, gathering and compiling data and contacting participants.
- Supervises the work of clerical staff or student assistants.
- Maintains varied administrative, fiscal, and academic records, and prepares complex, technical, and confidential reports.
- Acts as the main communication link between faculty, staff, students and the dean; as well as a link between our department and other departments on campus.
- Trains faculty on Banner input for registration and for gathering student information to aid in advising of their students.
- Approves and signs requisitions, vouchers, forms and other documents for the department.
- Handles the department budget along with preparing purchase requisitions and check requests and keeping a summary of all budget transactions so that at any given time the Dean is aware of the financial status of the division.
- Maintains harmonious relations and promotes work efficiency in the division office.
As the Senior Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Learning Support, some duties are unique and vary from the duties of other administrative assistants on campus.
- Handles the responsibility of making sure that all learning support students are following the Board of Regents’ guidelines for learning support. This entails diligently working with numerous reports generated by the CIS Department, as well as creating other reports as needed by the Dean of Learning Support or other administrators on campus.
- Works closely with the Darton College Testing Coordinator in matters concerning COMPASS and Regents’ Testing and policies.
- Organizes the testing and grading of the ENGL 0099 Departmental Essays and adjusts the process as needed to make it more time efficient and more conducive to the instructors.
- Responsible for varied tasks concerning Learning Support students which make up over half of the entire enrollment of Darton College.
- Works closely with staff in the Learning Support Writing Lab and Reading Lab.
- Works diligently with the Learning Support Dean and the First Year Experience Coordinator in making sure that the First Year Experience Program runs efficiently and successfully.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, writing, grammar, and mathematical/accounting skills.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of office management and office procedures and the ability to apply this knowledge to difficult problems that may arise.
- Thorough knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations, and policies of the institution relative to the organizational position.
- Ability to compose effective and accurate correspondence.
- Thorough knowledge of the law, rules, regulations and policies of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia as it relates to the Learning Support Department.
- Ability to work independently on responsible assignments and delegated tasks.
- Ability to deal with matters of a highly confidential nature.
- Ability to maintain complex administrative, fiscal, or academic records; to prepare statistical scientific, and fiscal reports; and to provide complex information from such records.
- Ability to orient and train other clerical workers, and to explain organizational policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and make contacts with officials, subordinates, students, organizations, and the general public, and to effectively and discretely convey information.
Required Education and/or Experience:
Associate degree preferred with emphasis in secretarial science or business administration, supplemented by progressive responsibility in secretarial positions in varied, complex work situations; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
The Senior Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Learning Support reports to the Dean of Learning Support.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.