Working Title: Athletic Director
Department: Physical Education
To provide leadership in the area of Athletics.
Nature of Work:
The Athletic Director is to administer, foster and continue to grow a comprehensive, competitive and successful men’s and women’s intercollegiate athletic program.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervise the planning and operation of the athletic program.
- Work closely with the Physical Education Division Chair to facilitate, coordinate, and schedule credit and non-credit physical education, wellness programs, and athletic activities.
- Ensure the athletic program adheres to and stays in strict compliance with NJCAA, GJCAA, Title IX rules and regulations, as well as College policies and procedures.
- Prepare and monitor the athletic and wellness program budgets.
- Ensure all athletic programs model the highest level of ethical and professional standards.
- Advance the success of student-athletes in their academic, athletic, and personal development.
- Ensure that the safety and welfare of student-athletes are highly valued within the athletic program and promote the integration of student-athletes into the student body.
- Administer and grow a diversified and comprehensive intercollegiate athletic program.
- Develop, implement, direct, and actively participate in an ongoing progressive funding program, including working to cultivate and solicit donations and gifts from major donors.
- Increase the growth and involvement of the College’s Booster organization.
- Serve as an ambassador for the athletic program by attending home contests, greeting faculty, staff, current students and parents, and prospective student-athletes and their families during visits to the campus.
- Develop relationships and work closely with all facets of the media.
- Represent Darton College athletics in a professional manner to all internal and external constituents.
- Hire, evaluate, and provide direction to coaches and staff.
- Oversee the professional development of the coaching staff to enhance recruiting and teaching skills.
- Coordinate the scheduling, operation, and maintenance of the Physical Education/ Athletic/Wellness Complex.
- Design and administer a robust, proactive wellness program which serves students, faculty, staff, and the community-at-large.
- Foster improvement and excellence in all athletic and wellness programs
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Proven success in fundraising and implementing revenue generating activities
- Proven leadership for promoting and marketing the athletic program within the College and community
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational and communication skills
- Proven personnel management skills
- A demonstrated commitment and sensitivity to gender equity, diversity, and Title IX
- An ability to manage a broad range of coaches and staff
- A history of commitment and compliance with adhering to standards set forth by athletic governing bodies such as the NJCAA, NCAA, NAIA, etc.
- Proven fiscal management skills
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Excel and Word; and the ability to learn and utilize PowerPoint, Publisher and Omni
- Coaching experience at the collegiate level preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in establishing policy and monitoring all athletic program functions
- Ability to manage an already strong intercollegiate program and take it to the next level of competition
- Success with working with a college’s Boosters organization
- Experience and/or proven ability to manage a comprehensive physical education, athletics, and wellness facility
Required Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s Degree preferred in Physical Education, Sports Management or related field. A minimum of four years of successful athletic administrative experience or equivalent managerial experience is required.
The Athletic Director is under the direction of the President of the College.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.