Working Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department: Vice President for Academic Affairs
Nature of Work:
This is secretarial and office work involving the performance of delegated administrative duties. Work involves performance of varied and difficult secretarial, administrative, and public relations duties. Employees in this class independently perform responsible work which may involve supervision over a small group of subordinates in general office duties. Primary emphasis, however, is on relieving top level administrative officials of operational details by performing responsible secretarial and administrative clerical work. Normal administrative routines are performed with independence, unless, in the judgment of the employee, they require clearance with the administrative superior. New assignments usually consist of statements of desired objectives, and work procedures are normally developed independently. Work is evaluated in terms of over-all effectiveness in the execution of assigned functions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- May supervise the work of a clerical staff, keeping varied administrative, fiscal, and academic records, and preparing complex, technical, and confidential reports.
- Advises employees on operational procedures, methods, and policy matters; confers with and advises superiors concerning clerical performance standards and other operating problems; provides for equal distribution of clerical workload.
- Meets individuals and the general public, providing information pertaining to organization procedures and policies; interprets laws, rules, policies and regulations; makes appointments; transmits policy and administrative decisions; processes confidential matters and either resolves or refers questions to appropriate personnel in the absence of the superior.
- Prepares agenda and compiles data for meetings; gathers information for and prepares reports, questionnaires, and other documents.
- Reads incoming mail, composes answers to letters and routes mail to the proper officials when it does not require superior’s attention; transcribes, types, checks, and proofreads complex, technical and confidential dictation; answers the telephone and makes appointments for a superior.
- Approves and signs requisitions, vouchers, forms, and other documents for superiors.
- Maintains varied administrative, fiscal, and academic records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, and arithmetic.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of office management, and of modern office procedures, systems, and equipment; ability to apply this knowledge to difficult problems.
- Considerable knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations, and policies of the Institution relative to the organizational position.
- Ability to transcribe, and type complex, technical and confidential dictation.
- Ability to compose effective correspondence.
- Ability to maintain complex administrative, fiscal, or academic records; to prepare statistical, scientific, and fiscal reports; and to provide complex information from such records.
- Ability to orient and train other clerical workers, and to explain organizational policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and make contacts with officials, subordinates, students, organizations, and the general public, and to effectively and discretely convey information.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with emphasis in secretarial science or business administration, supplemented by progressive responsibility in secretarial positions in varied, complex work situations; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Typing speed of 55 words per minute minimum.
- This position reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.