Darton State College
» Faculty & Staff
» Positions Available
Working Title: Graduate Assistant in Athletic Training
Department: Physical Education
Nature of Work:
The Graduate Assistant in Athletic Training is a highly responsible position that requires administrative, organizational, communication, and athletic training skills. This position involves high level communication with coaches, student athletes, and athletic administration.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Daily Basic Duties:
- Restock supplies on counter and taping area.
- Straighten counter top and clean training room.
- Clean treatment and taping tables.
- Launder and fold towels/wraps.
- Maintain hydro collator unit.
- Wipe down and disinfect whirlpools.
- Clean coolers and hang up to dry on rack.
Athletic Training Room Duties:
- Taping and bracing that may be required
- Assist with sports medicine treatments as directed.
- Follow proper protocols for treatments.
- Use modalities properly and as directed.
- Prepare medical bags/kits for practices and events. (this includes all emergency equipment)
- Prepare ice chest for practices and events.
- Prepare water for practices and events.
- Educate student athletes on prevention of specific injuries.
- Demonstrate proper exercises for rehabilitation and prevention.
Practice and Event Duties:
- Assist with any duties that are necessary during event coverage.
- Load/unload medical equipment for transportation to event site.
- Properly administer First Aid and Emergency Care.
- Act as a First Responder to any emergency situation and be able to activate 911/EMS.
- Notify the appropriate personnel of any emergencies.(Head Athletic trainer, Athletic Director, Campus Police, EMS)
- Refill water coolers as necessary.
- Document/log any medical treatment performed.
- Document/log any over the counter drugs (OTC’s) given out.
- Help with physical set up and administrating pre participations physicals.
- Help review each student athlete’s pre participation physical.
- File each individual physical in filing cabinet according to sport and follow up to make sure each student athlete’s file is complete.
- Copy and file documents as needed and directed.
- Give the head coaches of each sport a copy of current athletic insurance policy.
- Fill out proper paperwork to file insurance claim.
- Make doctors appointments as needed.
- Assist with the drug testing procedure.
- Assist with hydration testing for wrestling.
- Provide education on matters when asked by student athletes or coaches.
Other duties may be assigned by the Head Athletic Trainer and/or Athletic Director.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Knowledge of athletic training practices including injury prevention, diagnosis, rehabilitation, and care of injuries.
- Ability to provide injury prevention and rehabilitation services under the supervision of Head Athletic Trainer.
- Ability to provide emergency care.
- Knowledge of therapeutic modalities and ability to apply appropriate treatment to student athlete injuries under the supervision of the Head Athletic Trainer.
- Knowledge and ability to accurately complete pre-participation physicals under supervision of Head Athletic Trainer.
- Knowledge and ability to accurately and efficiently file athletic injury insurance claims.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and Outlook and various office machines such as photocopier and facsimile.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with institution officials, administrators, employees, students and the public.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required in athletic training or similar field.
- CPR certified.
The Graduate Assistant in Athletic Training reports to the Head Athletic Trainer.
Go back to the Department Selection page. |
Go back to the Physical Education Listing page.
Responsible Department: Business & Financial Services
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.