Working Title: Reading Lab Assistant Director
Department: Learning Support
To assist in providing an atmosphere that promotes student success.
Nature of Work:
Primarily instructional. Tutors students, prepares assignments in coordination with instructors. Conducts special workshops and tutorials as needed. Helps train and supervise student assistants. Helps keep lab records and prepare reports. Helps maintain equipment and update inventory list. Helps maintain atmosphere conducive to learning. Assumes responsibilities of lab director in his or her absence. Undertakes other responsibilities as assigned. Teaches classes as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepares two folders for each reading student at beginning of each semester.
- Instructs each reading student as to teacher-made assignments; tutors, supervises and evaluates all work done by the student.
- Reports weekly to reading instructors the number of hours each student has worked in the lab.
- Prepares lab cards for each reading student at the beginning of each semester.
- Trains and supervises the assistants and the student workers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Uses the computer and all availabilities for instructional purposes.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Ability to tutor students in reading skills.
- Ability to counsel and motivate students.
- Ability to organize and prepare teaching materials, tests and worksheets.
- Ability to supervise and train student assistants.
- Ability to keep accurate records.
- Ability to coordinate computer programs with students’ needs.
Required Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree with reading emphasis. Master’s preferred. Two years’ experience in tutoring or teaching reading required. Experience with adult learners preferred. Computer experience preferred.
The Reading Lab Assistant Director reports to the Reading Lab Director.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.