Working Title: Painter
Department: Plant Operations
Provide professional, high quality and cost effective services to the college through duties and responsibilities in preventative maintenance, renovation, repair and construction tasks relating to painting and other building trades work.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work is performed in accordance with generally accepted trade practices for interior and exterior painting requirements.
- Determine type and kind of materials needed, time allowance between coats and the number of coats required, adequacy of surface preparation and areas to be painted.
- Plan and develop preliminary cost estimates for jobs/projects, as requested by Director.
- Prepare surfaces prior to painting.
- Thin material to proper consistency and mix and match paints to surfaces being painted.
- Apply primer, sealer and undercoats to walls, ceilings and other surfaces.
- Apply paint, stain, varnish and other finishes to surfaces using hand brush and/or roll paint and/or other tools/equipment.
- Set up scaffolding and/or ladders, as needed.
- Interior and exterior caulking and waterproofing
- Installing glass
- Removing graffiti
- Power washing
- Preparing parking areas and streets for striping; Striping of parking areas and streets
- Drive service vehicle; load and unload materials and supplies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- effectively follow the principles, practices, and methods of painting.
- knowledge of the safe use of hazardous materials.
- effectively follow safety precautions to be used when working with the necessary equipment.
- knowledge of paints, colors, finishes and stains, interior and exterior.
- effectively match specified paint colors and surface coatings.
- effectively prepare surfaces by stripping, sanding, wire brushing, burning or water and abrasive blasting, by use of implements such as sandpaper, brushes, steel wool, scrapers, cleaning detergents, etc.
- effectively apply primers, sealers, undercoats and thinners.
- tape baseboards, glass and other surfaces, as needed.
- effectively apply paint, varnish, stain, epoxies, urethanes, enamels, lacquer or other protective surfaces by using brushes, spray guns, paint rollers and/or other means of application.
- effectively apply paint evenly and consistently on walls, ceilings, and other surfaces.
- effectively paint above shoulder level for an extended period of time. , e.g., stripping, sanding, wire brushing, burning, or water and abrasive blasting.
- effectively operate equipment used in painting; effectively use an airless sprayer and stripper for parking areas and streets.
- effectively work at high elevations using ladders, scaffolding, or other appropriate means.
- carry, setup and move ladders, staging and drop clothes, as required.
- design and construct dust enclosures to isolate work areas from surrounding environment, as needed.
- move furniture/equipment, wall hangings and fixtures and/or cover surfaces of furniture/equipment, wall hangings and fixtures with protective drop cloths to protect from paint; remove protective drop cloths after job/project is complete.
- remove spattered paint and clean work area after job/project is complete.
- effectively set glass and apply putty.
- clean and maintain equipment and tools, as necessary, including by the use of solvents, to keep all in good working condition.
- interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse populations, the college community and the public.
- effectively work independently with minimal supervision.
- effectively read and follow written instructions.
- communicate effectively.
- maintain confidentiality.
- ability to complete all aspects of the painting trade in a professional manner.
- ability to perform the physical requirements of the position.
- ability to move, lift and carry heavy objects
- ability to lift 50 pounds.
- assist other trades/classifications, as needed.
- perform similar and/or other duties, as assigned.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- A minimum of three (3) years experience in painting buildings and various other interior and exterior surfaces.
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid Georgia Driver’s License
This position reports to the Director of Plant Operations.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.