Working Title: Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life
Department: Student Affairs
The Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life provides leadership and support to build a positive, stable residence hall community that fosters opportunities for student growth, group interaction and self-responsibility.
Nature of Work:
The Assistant Director serves an important role in helping to implement policies and procedures, hiring and managing staff, developing departmental goals and objectives. The successful candidate will be energetic, team-focused, comfortable and professional when interacting with students, parents, faculty and staff.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- This is a 12-month, live-in position that has direct responsibility for the effective management and administration of the College’s residential community
- Help manage all aspects of recruitment, selection, training and evaluation of Housing and Residence Life staff according to the objectives established for the department
- Hiring and Managing Staff
- Direct supervision of Resident Assistants and Front Desk Workers
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the Department of Housing and Residence Life
- Handle housing-related procedures; including room assignments, summer housing, camp housing and the room change process
- Ensure that safety and security procedures are followed, maintained and updated as appropriate
- Provide on-call consultation and/or response for emergency situations
- Develop and enforce operational and behavioral policy to include adjudication of judicial matters; provide interpersonal counseling and dispute mediation
- Identify and oversee appropriate programs for the community – educational and social
- Work closely with Plant Operations and Campus Police to ensure a safe and comfortable living environment
- Maintain appropriate records and administrative files ensuring confidentiality
- Participate in departmental meetings and training and development activities as appropriate
- Serve on college committees as assigned
- Give feedback and evaluation of the dining service
- Other duties as assigned
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Experience at a college or university in Housing and Residence Life. Supervisory experience of Resident Assistants staff preferred
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Ability to manage conflict and multiple priorities, a high degree of flexibility and self-motivation and successful demonstration of leadership and team development
- Student centered, team player, sense of humor and positive outlook
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Student Development, Business Administration or a related field
Director of Housing and Residence Life.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.