Working Title: Director of Continuing Education & Economic Development
Department: Continuing Education & Economic Development
The Director of Continuing Education and Economic Development is responsible for new program development, community liaison and quality control within an assigned field of expertise. The Director will be expected to seek out new program opportunities, create/modify courses and programs and activities to meet the ever changing needs of individual learners, businesses, and the Southwest Georgia community. As a key representative of the college, the Director will utilize excellent judgment to develop credible and meaningful relationships with businesses and/or the community ensuring strictest confidentiality. He/she will work closely with the Vice President for Academic and Student Services to identify opportunities and resolve concerns.
The Director handles multiple responsibilities, solves complex problems and provides leadership, supervision and direction to The A.B.L.E. Center and Continuing Education and Economic Development Instructors ensuring consistency with the mission and vision of Darton College.
Nature of Work:
The Division of Continuing Education and Economic Development (CEED) serves the Southwest Georgia region through public service, lifelong learning education and economic development activities. The Director of Continuing Education and Economic Development will identify and develop cost-effective open enrollment and/or customized training solutions utilizing the intellectual capital of Darton faculty and other qualified training professionals to meet the lifelong learning needs of the community at large. The Director of Continuing Education and Economic Development will liaison with community, and business and industry leaders by promoting strategic partnerships or alliances, communicating client needs, promoting and piloting new training programs, forecasting trends, and brokering appropriate training resources to accomplish an education opportunity.
This position requires exceptional customer service skills, a desire and motivation to achieve, sales and presentation ability as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ability to organize and prioritize workload and multi-task with little supervision in an ever changing, fast-paced, multiple priority setting, work flexible hours, and meet deadlines as well as a commitment to a team approach by working cooperatively with clients and others within the division and the college is essential.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Be responsible to the Vice President for Academic and Student Services for the continued viability and development of the Continuing Education and Economic Development and The A.B.L.E. Center functions offered by Darton College
- Be responsible for developing, coordinating, and supervising all aspects of courses, classes, clinics, seminars, conferences, workshops and/or other programs of the Continuing Education and Economic Development Division and The A.B.L.E. Center at Darton College
- Be responsible for the economic and workforce development educational programs targeted to business, industry, government, civic, and social organizations
- Serve as ICAPP Liaison Officer for Darton College
- Serve as the liaison between the college and the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Development and Economic Services
- Employ all instructional personnel employed in the Continuing Education and Economic Development and The A.B.L.E. Center programs
- Supervise the work of the Continuing Education and Economic Development Program Development Specialists, The A.B.L.E. Center Program Coordinator as well as secretaries, and student assistants
- Coordinate the use of regular college instructional faculty with the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs
- Be responsible for developing and managing the budget for the Division
- Be responsible for the booking of all campus activities other than regularly scheduled credit classes and those supervised by the Office of Auxiliary Services
- Be responsible for maintaining student and course records for all Continuing Education and Economic Development and The A.B.L.E. Center activities
- Develop semester and year-end statistical cumulative reports concerning Darton College’s continuing education activities and file these reports with the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Development and Economic Services
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President and Vice Presidents.
- Represent the Division to the community at large by providing a proactive, customer-oriented environment
- Work closely with clients in determining education needs and designing or assisting in the design of instructional programs. Secure external funding to support projects and programs when appropriate
- Research, plan, develop and sell Continuing Education open enrollment classes/programs to respond to emerging trends in lifelong learning. Promote the utilization of adult education principles
- Research and identify/develop instructional materials needed to support conferences, training programs and non-credit courses
- Construct and manage budgets, set fees for Continuing Education and Economic Development and The A.B.L.E. Center activities and ensure the expeditious handling of financial matters related to these courses
- Develop and provide outcome/impact assessments and methodologies to ensure quality programming
- Coordinate with businesses and off-site locations to maximize use of campus facilities to include distance learning and video conferencing equipment
- Develop and maintain contact with individuals and groups within the region to foster collaboration between the college and the community
- Identify and select appropriate resources (both human and material) for implementing programs
- Development of marketing strategies and marketing pieces such as brochures and catalogs to promote classes
- Development, marketing, coordination, and implementation of Darton College’s Children’s Summer Camp programs
- Other duties as assigned
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Master’s Degree required (Preferably in a Business Administration, Economics, Continuing Education/Economic Development, and or Educational Programming related field.)
- A minimum of four years of successful administrative experience or equivalent managerial experience
- Proven success in developing and implementing revenue generating activities, courses and programs for the community and/or industry
- Proven leadership for promoting and marketing the college’s Continuing Education and Economic Development program within the college and communities being served
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational, and communication skills-both verbal and written
- Proven personnel management skills
- An ability to manage a broad range of full-time and part-time faculty and staff.
- Proven fiscal management skills
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Excel and Word; and the ability to learn and utilize PowerPoint, Publisher and Omni
- Teaching and/or administrative experience at the collegiate level preferred
- Experience and/or proven ability to manage a Continuing Education Division
Required Education and/or Experience:
- A broad knowledge of the community and region is desired
- Knowledge of adult learning principles
- Knowledge of higher education and thorough understanding of non-credit, life long learning programming
- Working knowledge of budgeting
- Ability to handle changing priorities, work flexible hours and meet deadlines
- Meaningful business experience in sales including cold calls
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience in devising marketing strategies and marketing materials
- Ability to connect with potential clients as well as develop and maintain business relationships within the community
- Ability to work with a diverse population including minorities
- Ability to follow through on projects from conception to completion
- Ability to negotiate contracts
- Ability to travel to attend seminars, training programs, and board and committee meetings
The Director of Continuing Education and Economic Development reports to the Vice President for Academic and Student Services.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.