Working Title: Writing Lab Assistant Director
Department: Learning Support
To assist in providing an atmosphere that promotes student success.
Nature of Work:
Primarily instructional. Tutors students, refers them to certain sets of assignments and evaluates their work when appropriate. Assists in training of assistants and student helpers. Assists with work processing, use of internet and other electronic services. Communicates with instructors to coordinate students’ work in lab with work in class. Conducts special workshops, presentations or tutorials as needed. Assists in coordinating learning support English exit testing. Creates original lessons and other study materials. Assists in coordinating day and night lab activities. Selects and maintains materials and equipment and keeps an inventory list. Maintains records and files reports. Keeps lab neat and creates an atmosphere conducive to learning. Teaches classes as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Acts as Lab Director in the absence of the Director.
- Directs the learning support English workshop.
- Assists in coordinating the learning support English exit testing.
- Tutors students in grammar and composition.
- Instructs clientele in use of electronic equipment and programs.
- Prepares specific assignments sheets for learning support students.
- Coordinates weekly and semester reports and keeps other lab records.
- Conducts workshops or presentations.
- Helps train and supervise lab personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of the English language.
- Ability to present/conduct orientations and programs.
- Ability to supervise and train personnel.
- Ability to counsel and motivate students.
- Ability to organize and prepare materials and records.
- Ability to tutor students in use of correct grammar.
- Ability to teach a variety of organization and essay development styles.
- Ability to create and prepare original tests and worksheets.
- Thorough knowledge of word processing and internet use.
Required Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree with significant work in English required. Master’s preferred. Two years’ experience in tutoring or teaching English required. Experience with adult learners preferred. An intermediate level of computer experience required. Knowledge of special needs of the learning disabled or non-English speaking individual preferred.
The Writing Lab Assistant Director reports to the Writing Lab Director.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.