Working Title: Assistant Writing Center Director
This is a highly responsible tutorial and clerical position performing a variety of tutorial and office tasks to assist the Writing Center Director.
Nature of Work:
The Assistant Writing Center Coordinator plays an important role by assisting the Writing Center Director in tutoring students in the necessary skills to successfully complete college writing assignments, as well as performing light office duties to assist in maintaining records, taking messages, and communicating with students.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Tutoring students in grammar and composition, including APA and MLA research styles
- Referring students to sets of assignments and evaluating their work
- Assisting students with word processing, use of the Internet, and other electronic services
- Assisting with maintenance of lab facility and creating an atmosphere conducive to learning
- Acting as Point of First Contact for students and other individuals
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- At least two years experience tutoring or teaching at the high school or adult level
- Considerable knowledge of college level English, spelling, and punctuation
- Considerable working knowledge of MLA, APA, and Chicago styles
- Intermediate level of computer experience
- Effective verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain administrative and academic records, some of which are confidential
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Experience with adult learners
- Experience with individuals with learning disabilities and those whose native language is other than English
Required Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in English or related field required, Master’s degree preferred; at least two years experience tutoring or teaching at the high school or adult level. Experience with individuals with learning disabilities and those whose native language is other than English is preferred.
The Assistant Writing Center Director reports to the Writing Center Coordinator.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.