Working Title: Assistant Writing Center Director-Online
This is a highly responsible position performing a variety of tutorial and organizational tasks in the ongoing development and maintenance of the online Darton College Writing Center.
Nature of Work:
The Assistant Writing Center Director (online) plays an integral role in tutoring distance learners in the necessary skills to successfully complete college writing assignments.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Tutoring students in grammar and composition, including APA and MLA research styles
- Referring students to sets of assignments and evaluating their work
- Assisting students with word processing, use of the Internet, and other electronic services
- Maintenance of internet web pages containing English tutorials and creating an atmosphere conducive to learning
- Acting as Point of First Contact for students and other individuals
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- At least two years experience tutoring or teaching at the high school or adult level
- Considerable knowledge of college level English, spelling, and punctuation
- Considerable working knowledge of MLA, APA, and Chicago styles
- Considerable working knowledge of the Regents’ Testing Program
- Intermediate level of computer experience
- Effective verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain administrative and academic records, some of which are confidential
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Experience with adult learners
- Experience with individuals with learning disabilities and those whose native language is other than English
Required Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in English or related field required, Master’s degree preferred; at least two years experience tutoring or teaching at the high school or adult level. Experience with individuals with learning disabilities and those whose native language is other than English is preferred.
The Assistant Writing Center Director (online) reports to the Writing Center Coordinator.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.