Working Title: Foreign Language Lab Director
Nature of Work:
Instructional, administrative and technical. Communicates with instructors to coordinate students’ work in the lab with work in class. Communicates with Coordinators of Distance learning, the Foreign Language program and others as necessary to help determine appropriate software and other media and their most effective applications. Conducts workshops for instructors as needed in those applications. Assists students with computer-based and other activities in the lab and facilitates televised instruction as needed. Trains and supervises assistants. Coordinates day and night lab activities. Maintains materials and equipment and keeps an inventory list. Maintains record and files reports. Keeps lab neat and creates an atmosphere conducive to learning.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Instructs students in the use of lab materials and equipment; provides technical support as needed.
- Instructs faculty as needed in the use of lab materials and equipment.
- Suggests appropriate lab work for students needing tutorial support.
- Helps select and preview lab materials and maintains lab equipment.
- Updates inventory of lab equipment and materials.
- Coordinates day and night lab activities
- Trains and supervises lab assistants
- Conducts workshops for instructors and students in the use of lab materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of the English language and some knowledge of at least one foreign language.
- Ability to empathize with students learning foreign languages.
- Ability to train and supervise personnel.
- Ability to counsel, advise and motivate students.
- Ability to organize and prepare materials and records.
- Ability to teach or train students and faculty in the use of computer equipment and software.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in foreign language or related area preferred.
- Proficiency in a foreign language (Spanish, French, German, Japanese) required.
- Computer experience required (knowledge of Macintosh and DOS-based computer platforms a plus).
- Experience in teaching a foreign language desired.
- Experience with adult learners preferred.
The Foreign Language Lab Director reports to the Coordinator of the Foreign Language Program.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.