Working Title: Program Development Specialist
Department: Continuing Education & Economic Development
The Continuing Education Program Development Specialist’s primary function is to identify and development cost-effective open enrollment and/or customized training solutions utilizing the intellectual capital of Darton faculty and other qualified training professionals to meet the lifelong learning needs of the community at large.
Nature of Work:
The Division of Continuing Education and Economic Development (CE) serves the Southwest Georgia region through public service, lifelong learning education and economic development activities. The Continuing Education Program Development Specialist’s primary function is to identify and development cost-effective open enrollment and/or customized training solutions utilizing the intellectual capital of Darton faculty and other qualified training professionals to meet the lifelong learning needs of the community at large. The Program Development Specialist provides liaison with the community, business and industry by promoting strategic partnerships or alliances, communicating client needs, promoting and piloting new training programs, forecasting trends, and brokering appropriate training resources to accomplish an education opportunity.
This position requires exceptional customer service skills, a desire and motivation to achieve, sales and presentation ability as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ability to organize and prioritize workload and multi-task with little supervision in an ever changing, fast-paced, multiple priority setting, work flexible hours, meet deadlines as well as commitment to a team approach by working cooperatively with clients and others within the division and the college is essential.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Represent the Division to the community at large by providing a proactive, customer-oriented environment.
- Work closely with clients in determining education needs and designing or assisting in the design of instructional programs. Secure external funding to support projects and programs when appropriate.
- Research, plan, develop and sell continuing education open enrollment classes/programs to respond to emerging trends in lifelong learning. Promote the utilization of adult education principles.
- Research and identify/develop instructional materials needed to support conferences, training programs and non-credit courses.
- Work with the Director to construct and mange budgets, set fees for continuing education activities and ensure the expeditious handling of financial matters related to continuing education courses.
- Develop and provide outcome/impact assessments and methodologies to ensure quality programming.
- Coordinate with businesses and off-site locations to maximize use of campus facilities to include distance learning and video conferencing equipment.
- Develop and maintain contact with individuals and groups within the region to foster collaboration between the college and the community.
- Identify and select appropriate resources (both human and material) for implementing programs.
- Assist with the development of marketing strategies and marketing pieces such as brochures and catalogs to promote classes.
- Assist with the development, marketing, coordination, and implementation of Children’s Summer Camp program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- A broad knowledge of the community and region is desired.
- Knowledge of adult learning principles.
- Knowledge of higher education and thorough understanding of non-credit, life long learning programming.
- Working knowledge of budgeting.
- Ability to handle changing priorities, work flexible hours and meet deadlines.
- Meaningful business experience in sales including cold calls.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in devising marketing strategies and marketing materials.
- Ability to connect with potential clients as well as develop and maintain business relationships within the community.
- Ability to work with a diverse population including minorities.
- Ability to follow through on projects from conception to completion.
- Ability to negotiate contracts.
- Ability to travel to attend seminars, training programs, and board and committee meetings.
Required Education and/or Experience:
A Bachelor Degree and 2+ years related work experience, preferably in Sales, Business or Marketing, is required. A Masters Degree is preferred.
The Program Development Specialist for the Division of Continuing Education and Economic Development reports to the Director of Continuing Education and Economic Development.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.