Working Title: Director - Dental Hygiene Program
Department: Allied Health
The Dental Hygiene Program Director actively directs the student and faculty recruitment, accreditation compliance, teaching and curriculum development efforts and overall development of the relevant program. The program director is responsible for the daily operations of the program.
Nature of Work:
Like other full-time faculty, the program director is responsible for:
- Maintaining office hours.
- Serving on committees.
- Sponsoring activities.
- Advising students.
- Assisting in special activities.
- Student recruitment activities.
- Supervision of program personnel and program operations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Many of the responsibilities of the program director require administrative time; therefore, the teaching load of a program director should be reduced from a full-time teaching load. Among the factors to be considered in the assignment of teaching duties of a program director will be specific program accreditation requirements, availability of qualified instructors, the number of contact hours, and other designated responsibilities of the director.
Those administrative functions should include:
- Planning and developing the program.
- Organizing and administering the program.
- Developing and designing program curriculum.
- Scheduling courses for academic terms.
- Reviewing the program on continuous basis.
- Evaluating and directing full-time and/or part-time program faculty.
- Developing clinical/professional affiliations.
- Monitoring students at clinic/professional sites.
- Directing clinical affiliations.
- Meeting specific program accreditation standards/essentials.
- Planning, implementing, and monitoring the program budget.
- Performing quality improvement activities to enhance program effectiveness.
- Maintaining current professional credentials.
- Recruiting and retaining students through graduation.
- Perform duties as assigned by the Dean.
- Supervision of Program Full-time and part-time faculty members.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
The Program Director must possess the qualifications and skills necessary to perform the leadership and management functions identified by Darton College as appropriate for the leadership role. The Program Director also has a variety of other professional duties and responsibilities.
Required Education and/or Experience:
The Program Director must meet the educational, experience, and credentialing requirements of the relevant accreditation body for the given profession. Clinical and professional experience must be significant enough to meet accreditation requirements.
The Program Director supervises all program faculty members, both full-time and part-time. The Program Director is supervised by the Dean of the Allied Health Division.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.