Working Title: Purchasing Supervisor
The management of technical and specialized work in the volume purchasing of equipment, materials and supplies.
Nature of Work:
Work involves supervising the detailed duties in the purchase of supplies and equipment and how these purchases relate to the business procedures of Darton College, the Board of Regents, and the State of Georgia.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervises buyers and purchasing staff involved in the procurement of goods and services.
- Supervises the selection and ordering of supplies and services from vendors.
- Develops and recommends purchasing procedures and policies as needed.
- Coordinates purchasing activities with user departments when necessary.
- Reviews bids to ensure adherence to procedures and policies.
- Communicates with supplier changes in specifications, change orders, quantities, and adjustments.
- Assists in hiring, training, evaluating employee performance, and disciplinary action.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the purchasing module of PeopleSoft Financials software and how it directly relates to the Receiving, Accounts Payable, and General Ledger modules.
- Confers with Accounts Payable and other Business Division areas to solve problems related to purchasing.
- Sole user of purchasing card and maintains purchasing card documents.
- Receives and processes requisitions; prepares necessary documents related to the purchase of supplies, materials and equipment; prepares State requisition or locates source of supply, and places orders with appropriate bidders.
- Interviews and corresponds with vendors regarding product information, incorrect or damaged shipments, and status of open purchase orders.
- Confers with all departments to obtain additional information required to purchase items requisitioned, and to give ordering information requested by them.
- Enters new vendors and other necessary information and makes necessary changes to Vendor database by entering data on computer.
- Maintains purchase order files.
- Performs other computer operations as assigned.
- Assists in the supervision and training of student employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of purchasing methods and procedures and of the techniques of specification writing.
- Thorough knowledge of a variety of office, technical and maintenance supplies and materials.
- Thorough knowledge of recordkeeping methods and procedures applicable to purchasing as well as thorough knowledge of the application of bookkeeping principles and methods to the keeping of procurement records.
- Thorough knowledge of purchasing laws of the State of Georgia and state and university purchasing rules and regulations including those of the purchasing card.
- Ability to supervise the work of buyers and other purchasing staff in the performance of routine purchasing office duties.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with college employees and vendors.
- Excellent knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, and arithmetic.
- Skill in the operation of office machines and computers.
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures, systems, and equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instructions.
- Ability to work and perform assignments with little or no supervision.
- Good telephone voice and manners.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum Associate’s degree in Business; Bachelor’s preferred.
- Considerable experience in purchasing field; preferably in governmental purchasing.
- Experience in operation of personal computers.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience acceptable.
- Typing Skill: 50 words per minute
This position reports to the Assistant Vice President of Business and Financial Services.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.