Working Title: Purchasing Assistant
The technical and specialized work in the volume purchasing of equipment, materials and supplies.
Nature of Work:
Work involves detailed duties in the purchase of supplies and equipment under the general supervision of an administrative superior and requires the use of independent judgment and initiative in the preparation and review of specifications and the receipt of bids or quotations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Receives and processes requisitions; prepares necessary documents related to the purchase of supplies, materials and equipment; prepares State requisition or locates source of supply, and places orders with appropriate bidders.
- Interviews and corresponds with vendors regarding product information, incorrect or damaged shipments, and status of open purchase orders.
- Confers with all departments to obtain additional information required to purchase items requisitioned, and to give ordering information requested by them.
- Assigns vendor numbers; enters new vendor numbers and other necessary information; and makes necessary changes to Vendor database by entering data on computer.
- Maintains purchase order files.
- Performs other computer operations as assigned.
- Assists in the supervision and training of student employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of purchasing methods and procedures and of the techniques of specification writing.
- Considerable knowledge of a variety of office, technical and maintenance supplies and materials.
- Considerable knowledge of recordkeeping methods and procedures applicable to purchasing as well as some knowledge of the application of bookkeeping principles and methods to the keeping of procurement records.
- Some knowledge of purchasing laws of the State of Georgia and state and university purchasing rules and regulations.
- Ability to supervise the work of student employees in the performance of routine purchasing office duties.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with college employees and vendors.
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, and arithmetic.
- Skill in the operation of office machines and computers.
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures, systems, and equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instructions.
- Ability to work and perform assignments with little or no supervision.
- Good telephone voice and manners.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Graduation from high school, including courses in typing, general business, and data processing.
- Considerable experience in purchasing field; preferably in governmental purchasing.
- Experience in operation of personal computers.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience acceptable.
- Typing Skill: 50 words per minute
This position reports to the Purchasing Supervisor.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.