Working Title: Head Athletic Trainer
Department: Physical Education
The Head Athletic Trainer is responsible for administration of the athletic training program and management of sports medicine injuries at Darton College.
Nature of Work:
The Head Athletic Trainer provides a vital service to the athletic department by coordinating all aspects of the athletic training/sports medicine program at Darton College.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide quality care for student athletes participating in intercollegiate athletics through management of all aspects of injury/illness prevention, recognition, evaluation, management, treatment, dispositions, rehabilitation, and coordination of all medical health care efforts (i.e., health care providers, physicians, emergency services) necessary to support the intercollegiate athletic and club sports programs.
- Develop and coordinate an Associates Degree in Athletic Training.
- Responsible for the formation of athletic training staff, including hiring, training, and supervision of assistant athletic trainers.
- Responsible for filing and processing medical insurance claims.
- Enable student athletes to return to full physical function by receiving quality treatment which includes assessing the nature of their injuries, their range of motion, strength, and other physical parameters, making referrals to physicians as appropriate, enforcing the prescribed treatment protocols of physicians using all appropriate therapeutic modalities and exercises, maintaining accurate records, evaluating their rehabilitative program, an providing written feedback to student athletes, coaches, parents and physicians.
- Facilitate student athlete compliance with prescribed rehabilitative treatments by educating them about the causes and nature of their injuries through the use of models or diagrams and thorough explanation of the reasons for the functions of rehabilitative therapies and exercises, evaluating their progress during rehabilitation, and providing the student athlete with feedback.
- Ensure proper safety precautions are followed at all times. Develop and implement with the Athletic Director policies to enhance the safety of Darton College student athletes as well as emergency procedures to effectively respond to accidents and injuries.
- Develop and maintain effective interaction with students, faculty/staff, and the general public.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Considerable knowledge of athletic training practices including injury prevention, diagnosis, rehabilitation, and care of injuries.
- Ability to provide injury prevention and rehabilitation services.
- Ability to provide emergency care.
- Knowledge of therapeutic modalities and ability to apply appropriate treatment to student athlete injuries.
- Knowledge and ability to accurately complete pre-participation physicals.
- Knowledge and ability to accurately and efficiently file athletic injury insurance claims.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and Outlook and various office machines such as photocopier and facsimile.
- Ability to maintain administrative, fiscal and academic records, some of which are confidential.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with institution officials, administrators, employees, students and the public.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required in athletic training or similar field. Masters preferred.
- Certified by the National Athletic Trainers Association Board of Certification.
- Must be CPR certified.
- Minimum of 1-3 years experience in athletic training preferably at the college level.
- Must obtain a valid license issued by the Georgia Board of Athletic Trainers.
The Head Athletic Trainer reports to the Athletic Director.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.