Working Title: Head Coach - Cross Country
Department: Physical Education
The Head Coach is responsible for coaching and administration of the athletic program.
Nature of Work:
The Head Coach provides a vital service to the department by coordinating and conducting all aspects of the athletic program including but not limited to practices, games, recruiting, fundraising, discipline, and monitoring of academic progress of student athletes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for coaching and directing all aspects of the athletic program including but not limited to organizing and supervising all practices and games.
- Recruiting quality student athletes.
- Budgeting and travel planning.
- Commitment to and monitoring student athlete academic progress and academic advisement.
- Coordinate fundraising efforts and public relations.
- Organize and direct successful youth camps and clinics.
- Provide leadership and general team management in the areas of scholarships, practicing, recruiting, scouting, and skill development.
- Recommend, administer, and document appropriate disciplinary measures for student athletes.
- Commitment to comply with all policies and regulations governing the National Junior College Athletic Association, Georgia Junior College Athletic Association, Darton College, and the Athletic Department.
- Maintain athletic facility, grounds and equipment inventory.
- Develop and maintain effective interaction with students, faculty/staff, and the general public.
- Must meet educational requirement and/or have appropriate experience to perform one or more of the following:
- Teach part time in an academic discipline of the college (requires masters degree and 18 graduate hours in discipline).
- Serve as Sports Information Director.
- Serve as intercollegiate athletic student success advisor.
- Serve as athletic event coordinator/game day manager.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Considerable knowledge of coaching including games, practices, strength/conditioning, and recruiting.
- Knowledge and ability to ensure academic success of student athletes.
- Knowledge and ability to properly maintain athletic facility and field.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and Outlook and various office machines such as photocopier and facsimile.
- Ability to maintain administrative, fiscal and academic records, some of which are confidential.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with institution officials, administrators, employees, students and the public.
- Effective verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Prior successful baseball coaching experience, preferably at the college level.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
The Head Coach reports to the Athletic Director.
Contacts: Robbin Burriss
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.