Job Search Closed
Posted: August 03, 2012
Edited: November 01, 2012
The technical and specialized work in the volume purchasing of equipment, materials and supplies.
Nature of Work:
Work involves detailed duties in the purchase of supplies and equipment under the general supervision of an administrative superior and requires the use of independent judgment and initiative in the preparation and review of specifications and the receipt of bids or quotations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives and processes requisitions; prepares necessary documents related to the purchase of supplies, materials and equipment; locates source of supply, and places orders with appropriate suppliers.
- Interviews and corresponds with vendors regarding product information, incorrect or damaged shipments, and status of open purchase orders.
- Confers with all departments to obtain additional information required to purchase items requisitioned, and to give ordering information requested by them.
- Assigns vendor numbers; enters new vendor numbers and other necessary information; and makes necessary changes to Vendor database by entering data on computer.
- Maintains purchase order files.
- Performs other computer operations as assigned.
- Assists in the supervision and training of student employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of purchasing methods and procedures and of the techniques of specification writing.
- Considerable knowledge of a variety of office, technical and maintenance supplies and materials.
- Considerable knowledge of recordkeeping methods and procedures applicable to purchasing as well as some knowledge of the application of bookkeeping principles and methods to the keeping of procurement records.
- Some knowledge of purchasing laws of the State of Georgia and state and university purchasing rules and regulations.
- Ability to supervise the work of student employees in the performance of routine purchasing office duties.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with college employees and vendors.
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, and arithmetic.
- Skill in the operation of office machines and computers.
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures, systems, and equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instructions.
- Ability to work and perform assignments with little or no supervision.
- Good telephone voice and manners.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Associates Degree with skills in business, supply and logistics.
- Considerable experience in purchasing field; preferably in governmental purchasing.
- Experience in operation of personal computers.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience acceptable.
- Typing Skill: 50 words per minute
This position reports to the Purchasing Supervisor.
A complete application must include:
- A current resume
- Letter of application addressing the above responsibilities and qualifications
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three current references.
- Finalists will be required to take a performance test.
- Final candidate will be required to submit to a background investigation.
Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply
Contacts: Gulma Heflin or Robbin Burriss (Staff), Beth Tison or Barbara Blackburn (Faculty)
Any corrections/updates to information listed on these pages are required to go through the contacts listed above.