A.S. Health Science (0063)
The purpose of the degree in health science is to prepare graduates to enter the workforce or pursue further education in a variety of health care fields. Students that wish to apply to any of the career programs must declare Health Science as his or her major. The student will be assigned to an advisor in the chosen specialty field that will also be listed as a double major. The courses to be completed for the degree will vary based on the student’s preferred area of study.
The degree in health science gives a student the opportunity to complete any general education requirements before applying to the career program of choice. If a student gains acceptance to a career program, the students major will be changed accordingly. If a student is not accepted, he or she may continue taking courses to complete the degree in health science.
The Associate of Science in Health Science is transferable to institutions of higher learning. A student wishing to pursue a degree in a health related field requiring higher education may complete the two-year degree at Darton State College then transfer to an institution of higher learning that offers advanced degrees for his or her desired area of study. The student will be assigned to an advisor most appropriate to his or her preferred area of study and the courses to be completed for the degree will be tailored to meet the student’s educational goals.
Students that wish to pursue any of the following career programs offered at Darton State College will be placed in the A.S. Health Science program:
Two-Year Degree Options
- Cardiovascular Technology
- Dental Hygiene
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Emergency Medical Services
- Health Information Technology
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Polysomnographic Technology
- Radiologic Science
- Respiratory Care
- The courses to be completed for the degree will vary based on the student’s preferred area of study (2nd Major). Therefore, it is important to meet with an advisor to map out the best educational path to achieve his or her goal. Completion of the general education courses required for the preferred program should be priority.
- All career programs have a selective admissions process. This means that a seat in any program is awarded only to the top applicants and that meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the preferred program.
- Depending on your enrollment status, you may be required to take DART 1000 – First Year Experience.