In support of the mission statement of Darton State College, and within the context of the mission of the Humanities Division, the Darton State College Dance Department shares a commitment to effectively train dancers through courses in movement and theory; to stimulate students to explore their own creative potential in physical movement; to introduce students to dance artistry; to allow students to develop insight, perception, and an understanding of dance as a performing art; and to contribute to the academic community and society in general. Students will also gain the evaluative skills needed to enhance wellness and to create healthy lifestyles through the integration of the mind, body, and spirit. Students will be offered the opportunity to work one on one with the dance director, instructors, and guest choreographers. The Darton Dance Department strives to give students the foundation needed to grow as dancers and artists.
Dance Program Goals
- The Dance Department will give students an understanding of ballet and modern dance techniques.
- The Dance Department will prepare students to demonstrate competency in the basic knowledge of dance improvisation and dance composition techniques.
- The Dance Department will develop students’ understanding of dance history.
- The Dance Department will provide students with knowledge of dance production skills.
- The Dance Department will prepare students to effectively analyze and critique ballet and dance performances and techniques.