Humanities Division Mission Statement
To support the mission of Darton State College, the Humanities Division serves the individual undergraduate student, the academic community, and society in general. The Division of Humanities will provide students with access to excellent educational opportunities via the disciplines of art, communication, music, foreign languages, journalism, theatre, dance, and English, which are an integral part of the University System of Georgia core curriculum and two-year associate degrees offered by the college. Individual courses are designed to foster creative expression, and division activities promote college and community involvement in the arts. The division teaches the fundamentals of research, stimulates the use of scholarly methods and attitudes, and encourages individual scholarship and professional development of its members. Through the discharge of the responsibilities described above,the Division of Humanities strives to prepare students for professions in art, English, foreign language, journalism, communication, music, dance, and theatre and for individually enriched lives. The division is committed to emphasizing an education based on the college’s student-learning outcomes, recruiting and supporting highly qualified faculty, providing strong customer service, and facilitating student success through advising and support.
The Humanities Division will work towards the following:
- The Humanities Division will provide high quality instruction in art, communication, music, dance, foreign languages, journalism, theatre, and English demonstrated by continual refinement and enhancement of divisional curriculum and related teaching materials.
- The Humanities Division will work to enhance faculty teaching and professional development through the utilization of an annual assessment process.
- The Humanities Division will support professional development and scholarship of divisional faculty within their respective disciplines by providing, whenever possible, time and monetary resources.
- The Humanities Division will schedule and deliver divisional courses using traditional, hybrid, and online delivery methods.
- The Humanities Division will maintain regular and open communication for students, the college, and the community.
- The Humanities Division will maintain regular and open communication between the dean and faculty and staff.
- The Humanities Division will encourage students to explore and potentially pursue programs of study in art, communication, music, foreign languages, journalism, theatre, dance, and English by supporting and/or providing extra-curricular activities.
- The Humanities Division will provide information for students, the bookstore, and faculty regarding necessary educational supplies, such as textbooks.
- The Humanities Division will assist students with academic advising needs by scheduling open advisement and registration periods, assigning academic advisors, and assisting with major changes.
- The Humanities Division will ensure that the division operates within the budgetary restraints of the college.
- The Humanities Division will schedule and publicize events for the students, college, and community.
- The Humanities Division will schedule and publicize meetings for its faculty and staff.
- The Humanities Division will provide strong customer service to students by responding to all inquiries, complaints, and comments within one business day.