Located in G-132
Fall/Spring Hours of operation
Monday - Thursday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Summer Hours of operation
Monday - Thursday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 11:30 AM
Phone #: 317-6983 or 6984
Director: Steve Preston
Effective Jan. 2012 - only students designated as "online only" or "off-main campus only" may utilize the Online Writing Center. Students who attend classes on the Albany campus MUST utilize the on-campus Writing Center.
(Exception to this rule are CISM students who are utilizing the online services as a specific part of their class assignment.)
In support of the mission statement of Darton State College, and within the context of the mission of the Humanities Division, the Darton State College Student Success Writing Center is designed to help non-learning support students develop the writing skills necessary to achieve success in college courses at Darton. Writing proficiently ensures success academically and in the workplace. The Writing Center staff is committed to providing constructive feedback throughout the writing process, utilizing an active learning approach that allows students to take complete responsibility for their success. The Writing Center will assist in all writing assignments for all academic disciplines, not just English writing courses.
What should I bring with me?
- A copy of the assignment as given by your instructor.
- A printed copy of your rough draft
- A list of any specific questions you would like to ask, such as:
Is my thesis clear?
Do I have enough supporting details?
Do I have effective transitions from paragraph to paragraph?
Do I have enough information to document my sources correctly?
What should I expect from the Writing Center Staff?
Please be aware that the Writing Center is not a drop-off editing service or a “fast food” stop for instant perfect papers. The staff at the Writing Center is here to assist you in focusing your writing, assist you with revisions, give constructive feedback, and tutor you in the proper ways of completing your writing assignment. You should allow ample time to work with the staff. Don’t come in 30 minutes before your finished paper is due to your teacher and expect to walk out with a perfect paper!
Writing Center Policies
- All work submitted to the Center for review and critique MUST BE TYPED. Absolutely NO handwritten work will be evaluated.
- Work submitted to the Online Writing Center MUST be submitted as a Microsoft Word Document File Attachment. NO OTHER FORMATS will be accepted. Work submitted in other formats will either be deleted or returned uncritiqued.
- All work will require a minimum 48-hour turnaround time (not including weekends or college holidays) The student will leave the work so it can be reviewed by staff. When student returns, he/she should plan on spending approximately 15 minutes discussing the paper with Writing Center staff. If further review/explanation is needed after the conference, the student will be referred to the free Writing/Reading Workshop (held on different days each week from 4:00 - 4:50 p.m. in F-116 - schedule posted in the Writing Center) and/or an appointment with the student's instructor.
- The Writing Center DOES NOT schedule appointments – all students are served on a strict “first come – first served” basis.
- Students should NOT “slide papers under the door” after the Center has closed for the day. The Writing Center will not be responsible for any papers that are not signed in according to our procedures. If any paper IS slid under the door and is found by Writing Center staff, it will be signed in as if it were checked in at 9:00 the morning it is found.
- Students should NOT expect to come to the Center on the day a paper is due and expect "rush" service because of the deadline....service in the Writing Center is on a strict first come-first served basis. The popular phrase “Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part” applies. Students should not wait until the last minute; often, several revisions must be made before a paper is ready for final submission.
Does this service cost anything?
The Writing Center is FREE! Come in and let us help you achieve your writing success today!