Darton State College Learning Support Division | English
» Learning Support
- Students who fall beneath the passing score 60 on the college placement test for English or below a 74 on the college placement test for reading must take a Learning Support English course. Please see the chart on the Placement Pathways webpage to find the English class you will need.
- Students are allowed two attempts in ENGL 0989. Students who fail to exit their Learning Support English course in two attempts will be placed on Learning Support suspension for one year. Students have unlimited attempts in ENGL 0999, but remember that financial aid and other policies encourage you to complete your courses successfully in the first attempt.
- The Departmental Essay Competency Examination is a timed, extemporaneous essay that each student must successfully complete to demonstrate their ability to write. If the student does not pass the DECE, he/she will receive a grade of IP and be required to retake the course the following semester if he/she is eligible for a second attempt.
- Students may not drop or withdraw from ENGL 0999 without dropping or withdrawing from ENGL 1101 and vice versa.
- Students will exit Learning Support upon successful completion of ENGL 1101.
- Students who pass ENGL 0999 but fail ENGL 1101 will be required to take ENGL 1101 and ENGL 0999 in the next semester.
- Learning Support courses only count for institutional credit, but the course does have an impact on your financial aid standing. Credit hours earned in Learning Support courses will be in addition to those required for graduation.
- Students may receive individualized assistance on assignments by visiting the Writing Center or the Information Literacy Center. Both centers are open from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Friday.
- There are no academic appeals for additional attempts for students enrolled in Learning Support courses.
- Receiving any of the following grades is considered an attempt: A, B, C, D, F, WF, S, U, I, or IP.
- Students must complete their learning support requirement within 30 hours and must register for needed LS courses at the time of registration.
The Learning Support division is responsible for the information on this page.
For questions regarding content, or for further information, please contact Kenzie Knights.
Last Update: May 5, 2015 2:54 PM
The Darton State College web site is maintained by the Technology Services Division.