Darton State College
» Health & Physical Education
Physical Education - Requirement for Graduation
Darton College's Physical Education
Requirements for Graduation Flowchart
- Students enrolled in transfer programs:
Students enrolled in career programs:
- One course per semester of full-time enrollment with a maximum of four courses
- The requirement is four courses regardless of the credit awarded in the course
- Fulfillment of fitness competency requirement by completing one of the following with a grade of C or better: PHED 1105, Strength Training; PHED 1106, Walk, Jog, Run; PHED 1161, Fitness I; PHED 1162, Fitness II; PHED 1110, Deep Water Exercise; PHED 1139, Fitness Swimming; PHED 1225, Aqua Jogging; PHED 1220, Aquatic Circuit Training; PHED 1115, Step Aerobics; PHED 1116, Step Aerobics II; PHED 1123, Aerobic Pump; PHED 1182, Personal Conditioning; PHED 1198, Aerobic Dancing; or HLTH 1163H Personal Health (Honors).
*Click here to view a detailed description of each of the above courses.
Any course with a 2000 number does not count in Area G. PHED 2210 Sports Injury and Prevention is an Area B course and does not satisfy Area G requirements: PHED 2201 Introduction to Physical Education, Fitness and Sport.
Physical Education waivers do not exist. Any student may take HLTH 1161 Human Sexuality, HLTH 1163 Personal Health, HLTH 1165 Mental Health, or HLTH 1166 Drugs and Drug Abuse for credit by exam. HLTH 1160 Community First Aid and Safety and activity courses cannot receive credit by exam except under special circumstances and approval of the chair. If a student is lacking a physical education course needed for graduation due to factors beyond his/her control, the following are the procedures to request a course substitution or credit by exam for courses others than the ones listed above:
- Each program has individual requirements
- Unless excluded by program requirements, special contracts, candidates for graduation must fulfill fitness competency requirements by completing one of the following with a grade of C or better: PHED 1105 - Strength Training; PHED 1106 – Walk, Jog, Run; PHED 1161 – Fitness I; PHED 1162 – Fitness II; PHED 1110 – Deep Water Exercise; PHED 1139 – Fitness Swimming; PHED 1115 – Step Aerobics; PHED 1116 – Step Aerobics II; PHED 1225, PHED 1220, or PHED 1182 – Personal Conditioning.
- Meet with the student and determine the course needed or the substitution needed.
- Make a written request citing the factors beyond the student’s control to your division chair.
- The request will be sent to me or my approval or disapproval and I will forward to the Vice President for Academic Affairs for her decision.