Darton State College School of Science, Mathematics & Computing - Careers | Agricultural Scientist
For Further Information, Contact
Senior Administrative Assistant
School of Science, Math & Computing
Darton State College
2400 Gillionville Road
Albany, GA 31707
Agricultural scientists apply principles of physical and life sciences to protect, develop, and manage agricultural and environmental resources. Nearly all specialize in applying scientific techniques to a particular product or problem.
Areas of Specialization:
- Animal husbandry
- Range management
- Soil conservation
- Soil science
- Research and develop principles and theories
- Conduct field observations and carry out experiments
- Map and classify soils
- Identify problems in soil use and provide and manage solutions
- Test new methods of production and control
- Write and present technical reports and read scientific literature
- Find new uses for established crops and grow new crops
- Teach at colleges and universities
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Apply scientific principles to everyday problems
- Objectively analyze data and produce clear reports
- Use power tools, hand tools, and laboratory equipment
- Good verbal and oral communication skills
- Good understanding of commercial software or computer programming
- Photography and map preparation/interpretation
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Good mathematical abilities
- Outdoor field sites
- Colleges and universities
- Research centers
- State, federal, and local government
- Real estate firms
- Loan offices
- Farm management agencies
- Agricultural businesses
- Bachelor's degree minimum educational requirement to work in non-research areas, inspection , or nurseries.
- Ph.D. degree necessary to teach, conduct independent research, or for advancement to administrative positions.
- Persons with apprenticeship, internship, Tech Prep, or cooperative learning experience may be the most competitive
- Some employers prefer applicants with farming experience
- Average entry wage is approximately $29,760 per year in Georgia
The School of Science, Mathematics, & Computing is responsible for the information on this page.
For questions regarding content, or for further information, please contact Email: Taylor C. Wars.
Last Update: June 20, 2016 9:27 AM
The Darton State College web site is maintained by the Technology Services Division.