Darton State College Library | Frequently Asked Questions

Home  » Library  » Orientation & FAQs

Library FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are the times/days the library is open?

View Library Hours

Try Also Darton State College CALENDAR

2. Where do you get your Library Card/What is your library card?

You may Check for your Library Card at the Circulation desk. As a student your Student Identification card is now your Library Card. Whenever you check out books you will need to have your Student Identification card. in most cases, students data is pulled in and your card is automatically updated every semester but if you have a problem using Library resources check with the Circulation desk to make sure your Library account data is updated. Other Library patrons may use a Darton Faculty/Staff ID card or get a library card at the Circulation desk (also called front desk). For a view of the library layout please click on Library Tour. You will need some form of ID such as your schedule and/or picture ID to get a library card. You will need a library card whenever you check out or renew material.

3. Where is the Reserve Section located?

The Reserve Section is located at the Circulation desk. The reserve section holds material (folders, books and videos) designated by instructors for particular classes or sections. Unless otherwise noted, NO Reserve material can be taken out of the Library. Videos can be viewed in the Media Lab in the Library.

4. How long can you check out books?

Normal books can be checked out for up to 4 weeks. Reference and Reserve books/folders and ALL magazine/journals, microfilm, newspapers and videos must be used in the library. For locations of these materials, please click on Library Tour.

5. How do I find magazine and newspaper articles?

You may search for articles on the GALILEO Databases (opens new window). For help on using the databases see Library Research Online (opens new window) or you may check out tutorials by clicking on links in the Getting Started section of GALILEO Databases (opens new window). To find magazine and newspaper articles in the Darton Library, check the BLUE NOTEBOOKS scattered around the computers to see if we have the particular issue. If Darton doesn't have the issue, you can try an Interlibrary Loan-if you are a currently enrolled Student, Staff or Faculty member of Darton, just ask for an Interlibrary Loan form at the Circulation desk or follow the instructions at the following site: InterLibrary Loan Request. Check the LIBRARY TOUR to find locations of the magazine/newspaper holdings in print OR microform.

6. Where can I do Research?

You can do research in the library by looking through the Darton Library Catalog, looking at the books, magazines, newspapers, videos, etcetera in the library and by checking out books for use outside the library. You can find help by using the GIL Library Learning Center unit (opens new window) or through the GIL Help screens (opens new window). Many people choose to do research using the computers in the library to search GALILEO Databases (opens new window) and the Internet. Library patrons are welcome to use the Library computers for research and to print or save text files of the research as long as they follow Darton State College Computer and Network Use Policy. Printing from copy machines, from microfilm readers and from regular computer printers in the library is 10 cents per page/side with color printing for 25 cents per page. Word-processing and other computer applications can be done in the Computer Lab located near the Library entrance or in the other support labs. The Microsoft Office suite of applications is available for use in the library on a limited basis (see posted rules or ask a librarian)

NOTE: For further explanations please see Library Policies

The Library department is responsible for the information on this page.
For questions regarding content, or for further information, please contact Email: Caryl Nemajovsky.

Last Update: June 22, 2016 11:07 AM

The Darton State College web site is maintained by the Technology Services Division.